Monday, July 7, 2008

Safe Houses

Well People, 
How do I address this one.  I like the concept that there is a distinction between academic and home life.  Regardless of your background, academic society is generally quite distinct from home culture.  This goes without saying.  The forms of arguments brought up remind me that we need to learn to play the game of academia.  We certainly can subvert some of the system by integrating our home culture into the writing and arguments that we put forth.  

Sometimes, I see too much emphasis on differences and too much encouragement of separation.  My college experience was interesting, because in retrospect I can see how I self-segregated to a certain degree.  This was not done to the extreme that I saw others do it, but I see where I did a little of it.  My comfort zone was typical: we tend to congregate with those who have similar backgrounds.  At Dartmouth there were more Native Americans that I knew than poor, so I had more Native associates than non-Native.  

From the standpoint of types of arguments and strategies for success at the university level, I appreciate the article.  I addressed some of the strategies and techniques with my PEOPLE students, and we even did a few cursory exercises that emphasized these types of argument strategies.  

As usual, I have been able to glean some helpful material from the article.

No comments: