Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Final Thoughts for You All

I will miss the discussions and commentary inspired by our fearless leader and instructor along with his great choice of articles (this is not an attempt at brown nosing, simply the truth as I see it). I want to thank you all for a revitalizing time. I look forward to this class each year. It seems that when I most need some affirmations or new ideas or perspective, I get it from you folks. Each of you, like all people in my life, leaves an indelible impression upon me whom I look to for change of perspective or bits of wisdom (I could name names, but then I'd simply be listing all of you). I will especially miss the joking and laughter in spite of the sometimes serious nature of our discussions. Teaching is serious business, but we have to learn to laugh at that same seriousness. I will take this year's lessons and new impressions and attempt to apply them to my life and teaching (notice that I make a distinction between teaching and life).

*I hope the following comments aren't piled on too thick(ly). I'm just feeling all good and grateful and such.*

Alex, thanks for your deep thoughts and questions. As unrealistic as they may seem at the time, I can see where you are coming from and appreciate your approach. You challenged me to keep a purity of vision and reminded me to keep in mind why I teach. Your heart and determination will only touch and help your students in the best possible way.

Amy, I always enjoy your edge. You keep me thinking in different ways and continually challenging my own world view.

Amylia, your doubts and insecurities about teaching remind me that we all need to work and continue to work without resting on our experience or laurels. It reminds me of myself in that doubts and insecurities are natural and necessary: we can't become complacent and should be continually doubting ourselves in order to stay sharp. Teaching takes practice and lots of patience...and lots of good lessons borrowed from our colleagues.

Joyce, your quiet wisdom is invaluable. I can't help but think that I'd like to turn out like you as the steady rock that is the department chair.

Jeff, "fight the power". Your innovation and conviction, though hard to combine with your position in little MCF, will be fun to look out for. Dude, you really got into the articles from such an academic point of view...impressive and inspiring.

Josh, your quiet and reserved observations were something to look forward to. I always knew that when you said something it was going to be worth listening to since you didn't waste a lot of you words or thoughts. Thanks.

Janet, I hope you feel better. I love your convictions and how you speak of your students as if they are your actual children. How can you not reach and help your students with the amount of love and respect you give to your students. You lessen my occasional cynicism.

Scott, thanks for the course including the structure, materials, and setting! Best of luck to you.

Take Care and Keep in Touch.

Sincerely,
Your Friend and Colleague

6 comments:

lady_a said...

Don,
What has it been now? Six summers together? And still, you continue to amuse and impress me. Thank you for your kinds words here and in class. I look forward to doing it all over next summer!

Now, go kick those East-kids butts, you benevolent dictator!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

P.S. You can read my response here.

Unknown said...

Don,

Thanks for the lovely final post. I knew there was a bit of a softie underneath your (benevolent) dictatorship! I admire your confidence and wisdom, as well as your sense of humor. Your final words remind me of the "give-away" when I used to go to the Lakota Sioux Sundance in Rosebud, South Dakota as a kid. At the end of the sundance, the tree was returned to the earth and the leaders held a give-away for all who participated in the ceremony, as dancers or observers. I remember being a little girl and so touched by that--the gratitude and giving nature of the Sioux leaders--giving all they had to give, grateful for our presence, recognizing that even as mere observers we added something to the mix and changed the experience forever more.

P.S. hah, and I'm glad my "Shit I'm 30" existential crisis, doubts and insecurities served some higher purpose!

Anonymous said...

Don, wow! What are you Amylia trying to do here...make me shed a tear? We do have a "summer bond" here that I so look forward to each year. I am always drawn into your perspectives and views on teaching and your high energy level when expressing those perspectives and views. You speak from such a comfort zone that I so admire. It is easy to see that the classroom is your haven. I can honestly say that real teachers love their jobs and it shows in their conversations....boy, is it written all over you!!!

Keeping in touch over the course of the school year is great. However, I would like to take it a step farther. Wouldn't it be nice if we could sort of visit each other class sometimes through the school year and teach for a day? I think that would be cool! I would really, really love to see you in action!!

Enjoy your summer and have an awesome, fantastic, wonderful, mindblowing, fabulous school year!!!

Joshua said...

After a few drinks I tend to share too many words and thoughts! It was nice to listen to the insightful comments throughout the class this summer and reflect upon my own teaching.